So I've been in Qatar for 2 weeks now and I'm finally over my jet lag! I didn't think it would bother me so much, but 8 hours of time difference was a bit rougher thank I thought. I arrived on a Saturday night after an 18 hour trip from Houston. This is said to be the hottest time of the year, with temperatures known to rise to the 130's with very high humidity levels. Thankfully, it hasn't gotten much higher than 110 or so, though the humidity has been pretty nasty. I've never walked outside and had my sunglasses fog up before!
Michael and I are living in a high rise apartment building called Bilal Suites, which is right across the street from one of Doha's largest malls. It's very nice and has amazing facilities, such as a spa, gym, two pools, and a jacuzzi! Unfortunately, we're temporarily in the one-bedroom apartment that Michael was given in March, which is a bit small so we are unable to unpack the majority of our shipments until we are moved into a permanent place.
I'm learning my way around Doha...there are so many roundabouts, and they all tend to confuse me. I feel so turned around by them most of the time. The city isn't very complicated, but the traffic is pretty crappy...it's a combination of Boston and Houston driving: organized chaos at high speeds. The locals tend to ignore most lane markings and signals while not wearing seatbelts, so it's not surprising that the leading cause of death here is traffic accidents. I have a great car here that Michael bought this spring, so I can be seen jetting around Doha in my awesome crimson Durango...carefully and with my seatbelt on, of course.
I have been surprised at the number of people who dress in traditional Muslim garb...the men in the white tunics and head coverings, and the women in black tunics and head coverings. This type of dress is optional here, unlike certain areas of the middle east. I was a bit surprised as to how many women opt for the fully covering birka, especially with the immense heat here. I have been wearing, as suggested, clothes that cover my knees and shoulders, though there are expats from other countries that I have seen in the malls wearing barely-there-style shorts and tops...it varies a lot here, I've noticed, though it's viewed to be disrespectful to wear clothing that is too revealing, both for men and women.
For now, I'm looking for a job and hoping that Michael and I will get moved into a permanent and larger place soon. I have really been enjoying my time here and can't wait to get more acquainted with the people and the area.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home